Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Temperament of an American Pit Bull Terrier (APBT)

You hear and read so many bad things about us, but if you've ever known a properly bred and properly treated Pit Bull you know how sweet and loving we are and that we were bred for sound temperament. The stories you hear are about poorly bred dogs, abused dogs, irresponsible owners, etc. Here are a few great excerpts on our temperament (click here for more extensive info):

"APBTs make excellent family companions and have always been noted for their love of children."

Remember Petey from The Little Rascals?? He was a Pit Bull. Pretty scary, huh?



"The APBT is not the best choice for a guard dog since they are extremely friendly, even with strangers."

"We have high tech security systems because it would take torture and abuse to turn a TRUE APBT into a watch dog."



How about the Buster Brown shoe dog?? Sweet Pit Bull.




"Aggressive behavior toward humans is uncharacteristic of the breed and highly undesirable."

"They do not show unprovoked aggressive behavior in ANY form to any person. If a judge even suspects that an APBT is fearful or aggressive they should be safe and dismiss the dog. A wagging tail is a must at least in the class dog rings!!!!"

WWII Poster Dog - the beloved family pet and respected breed ... a Pit Bull.



"Bottom line: The Standard notes that the essential characteristic of the breed are courage and a zest for life. The APBT should be ALIVE and NEVER NEVER NEVER FEARFUL!!!!"

Bottom line for me is that life is good. I'm happy. I'm always happy. I'm curious and courageous and I do have a zest for life. I'm not really afraid of anything - my parents take me to big parties, concerts, parades, bike races, etc. and I'm mostly just curious and happy to get love from strangers. I'm not scared.

Here are a bunch of great stories about Pit Bull heroes ... heart melters.

No comments: